Forum

Forum - DatingScript

Online dating software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-04 17:33:45

jackal

Profile Photo not showing up

Testing the demo site:
Is it normal for the profile photo not to show up on the profile page on mobile view?
v1.3.2

#2 2019-03-04 18:34:43

tigr

Re: Profile Photo not showing up

I noticed the same. Any content in sidebar (desktop view) is hidden by default on mobile view - although it shows up by clicking the left hamburger menu. It's fine on other pages, but not really on the profile. It looks empty without the picture and doesn't "feel" like a profile.

Another thing - about the profile page sidebar on mobile view in general - is that there is a lot of scrolling between the profile picture and the profile details entered by user. I think the profile picture and details belong together at the top, and that user's friends, pictures, videos, blogs, events...etc...should go under the profile details. Right now the picture is on top and details on the very bottom, with everything else in the middle.

#3 2019-03-04 19:23:27

jackal

tigr wrote:

I think the profile picture and details belong together at the top, and that user's friends, pictures, videos, blogs, events...etc...should go under the profile details. Right now the picture is on top and details on the very bottom, with everything else in the middle.

Yes. On mobile view it looks a little disorganized. For users who are not familiar with the site the profile page (on mobile view) can be somewhat confusing.

#4 2019-03-05 12:36:48

Boxerke

tigr wrote:

Another thing - about the profile page sidebar on mobile view in general - is that there is a lot of scrolling between the profile picture and the profile details entered by user. I think the profile picture and details belong together at the top, and that user's friends, pictures, videos, blogs, events...etc...should go under the profile details. Right now the picture is on top and details on the very bottom, with everything else in the middle.

I totally agree with you. It's a strange choice to do it in this way....

Last edited by Boxerke (2019-03-05 12:37:15)

#5 2019-03-05 13:18:50

tigr

I totally agree with you. It's a strange choice to do it in this way....

Certainly. On a positive note I do like the new layout in general and think it's a step in the right direction - it's just the profile page I'm not comfortable with.

Maybe it's possible to change the stack order of profile elements for mobile view just by modifying CSS?

#6 2019-03-05 13:53:53

jackal

After more testing on the demo site I believe is a bug.

#7 2019-03-05 17:46:36

david0321

I would like to know too before I upgrade.

#8 2019-03-06 05:17:47

moomoocow

Yes but disappointed to see that for admin purposes the images are cropped still.. that means we literally have to open each image to check it is not breaching site rules or containing contact info etc on edge of photo. This should be dealt with really... At least in admin panel, we should have the whole image as thumb nail.. I don't care if the thumbnail is not square, round or rectangular.. But images should be shown in full in admin panel.

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-03-10 05:24:52)

#9 2019-03-10 00:26:58

moomoocow

Any news on the profile not showing image anyone please?

#10 2019-03-10 13:44:09

jackal

I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with this
Sidebar content is now generated via hooks.  v1.3.2

So if you currently have the profile page modified be sure you look into this before updating to v1.3.2

#11 2019-03-10 15:01:52

levelup

tigr wrote:

I noticed the same. Any content in sidebar (desktop view) is hidden by default on mobile view - although it shows up by clicking the left hamburger menu. It's fine on other pages, but not really on the profile. It looks empty without the picture and doesn't "feel" like a profile.

agree with you! I think vlad should fix this.
The update is good but i'm waiting for the live site to update until somebody has fixed this profile & profile info belongs together

thnx

#12 2019-03-13 04:45:37

moomoocow

Any news on all the profile and photo showing up on one page like before please?

#13 2019-03-13 10:13:35

jackal

I haven't updated to v1.3.2 but by testing the DS demo site (on a mobile device) when viewing profiles users will now have to click on the top left menu icon to display profile photo/albums/friends/etc. I believe it a bug/or maybe just a mistake because the email/friend request/or gift options are also hidden as well. This will get most users frustrated and since 70% of all traffic comes via a mobile device this could have a negative impact on your business.

#14 2019-03-13 10:54:54

Boxerke

This is not a bug.

On "normal view" the profile picture is now shown in the sidebar and thus created by "hooks". As on mobile the sidebar is hidden, the profile picture is also hidden, same thing for albums, video's, etc.
1 of my 2 site's is now on 1.3.2, my users aren't complaining, just had a few questions about it. I Explained that doing it this way is better for privacy, so people around them (in real life) when they are looking on their mobile phone, aren't confronted with pictures that sometimes may be seen as erotic.

#15 2019-03-13 11:39:39

matrimo

So people will have to click on left menu, each time they want to see users pictures. In my opinion, it is not userfriendly to hide picture in sidebar on smartphones.

The datingsites I know, display pictures and details on the same page, on desktop and on smartphones.

I do not intend to update from 1.3.1  if this do not change.

#16 2019-03-13 12:20:17

moomoocow

matrimo wrote:

So people will have to click on left menu, each time they want to see users pictures. In my opinion, it is not userfriendly to hide picture in sidebar on smartphones.

The datingsites I know, display pictures and details on the same page, on desktop and on smartphones.

I do not intend to update from 1.3.1  if this do not change.

I totally agree.. I am hoping this is a bug.. We are staying on 1.3.1 as being user-friendly is paramount. I love the new shortcut menu on the top with icons but I know for a fact we will have people thinking the profile owner has no photos with the sidebar being hidden in a menu button. Most members do not like chopping and changing all the time. They get used to a format and are happy with it..

I am not aware of any successful site doing this.. If we look ate the huge players like POF, Match etc.. profile and every communication link is all on one page.. It makes sense to do this.. As it is now is not good for business and will have a negative impact I am afraid..

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-03-13 16:57:14)

#17 2019-03-14 12:17:51

Boxerke

Since Vlad isn't answering questions about this I don't think it's gonna change anytime soon...

#18 2019-03-14 13:51:05

vlad
Support staff

Forums are for community-based support. Please submit a ticket if you have questions and need fast answers or need technical support.

Picture not being displayed in mobile view right away is not a bug but an oversight. We've updated some files in the software to display the picture right away in mobile view now. You may see it in the online demo. In the next update it'll be improved further for easier navigation/experience. You may re-upload software files to your site to get this update. You do *not* need to run the update wizard.

#19 2019-03-14 13:58:56

tigr

@vlad - Fantastic news, thank you!

#20 2019-03-15 04:04:12

moomoocow

Really great news.. Thank you Vlad..!!

Does anyone know how to make the Message links, friends etc all show up on the same page under the photo also please? I don't see why members would have to click an extra menu button to send a message or view profile holders friends etc.. This is quite irregular.. Apart from that... I think it looks great, specially the short cut icons at top...

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-03-15 04:10:40)

#21 2019-03-15 07:47:46

matrimo

Maybe I am wrong, but in my opinion the main links have to show up under the picture, not separately in sidebar.

#22 2019-03-15 08:29:47

moomoocow

matrimo wrote:

Maybe I am wrong, but in my opinion the main links have to show up under the picture, not separately in sidebar.

+1 Thats exactly what I am saying..  Apart from that...  Excellent upgrade..  Love many of the new features...  Great Job VDL

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-03-15 08:39:27)

#23 2019-03-15 10:03:55

vlad
Support staff

I agree, hence why I said

In the next update it'll be improved further for easier navigation/experience.

smile

#24 2019-03-15 10:21:18

jackal

Thank you for the profile photo.

If you haven't already, can you look into showing this in the future:

Add to friends - hidden
Send Message - hidden
Send gift - hidden
Add to favorite - hidden

This is extremely important to make it easy for the users to see this.

#25 2019-03-15 11:30:46

moomoocow

vlad wrote:

I agree, hence why I said

In the next update it'll be improved further for easier navigation/experience.

smile

Vlad.. I know I have complained a lot.. but to be fair.. everything else is GREAT with 1.3.2 - Loving the top menu (shortcuts) with live update especially.. It would be even better if the shortcut menu with live update always stayed on the top of the page in the next update maybe? I believe our good friend Matrimo has made such a mod already..

Thank you for your hard work by the way.. it is appreciated by ALL of us I am sure..

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-03-15 11:33:33)

Board footer