Forum

Forum - DatingScript

Online dating software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-01 10:48:52

SuperZen

FACEBOOK has launched a dating service: SECRET CRUSH

Facebook has just launched a dating service: SECRET CRUSH. It's available in 20 countries so far (for testing purposes, I guess), outside of Europe and USA...
Basically, you can let your friend know that you have a crush for him/her. I think FB will launch a full blown DATING SERVICE soon...
This free and integrated FACEBOOK DATING SERVICE service may be the end of all the paid independant dating sites...
What do you think ?  Can we still compete profitably ?

#2 2019-05-01 12:06:56

vlad
Support staff

Re: FACEBOOK has launched a dating service: SECRET CRUSH

Match, okcupid, plentyoffish, and many others still exist and are profitable. There will always be competition, don't get swayed by it.

#3 2019-05-02 08:23:09

moomoocow

vlad wrote:

Match, okcupid, plentyoffish, and many others still exist and are profitable. There will always be competition, don't get swayed by it.

Agreed... and We ourselves are in a position where we offer a slightly "Adult" service which the big tech giant would not.. This is why We go niche.. wink

Anyway I hate Facebook.. It is the worse thing to happen to humanity in decades..

Last edited by moomoocow (2019-05-02 08:26:19)

#4 2019-05-02 11:57:54

SuperZen

Hmmm. I'm not as optimistic as you, guys. For certain niches (including super rare adult fetich niches and rare sexual preferences niches), the network effect of Facebook is huge. People are already logged in. They have already filled their profile, put their picture. And there's social proof / seriousness in having a FB profile and being real... Once FB integrates a DISCRETE search engine to match users who want to be matched, I think it will grow like wildfire. My users hook on my site and then soon shift to Facebook. I'm OK with that, as long as they pay me first. But in the future, the FB algoritm will easily find matches. Even big established dating sites will suffer. Especially if FB destroys the market with a 100% free dating service.

The only drawback of FB for dating is that your real name appears. So, if you are into some kinky stuff, maybe it could be an issue...

Last edited by SuperZen (2019-05-02 11:59:23)

#5 2019-05-03 11:36:11

e7lew

or you just crush everyone till you find the person who has a crush on you, which is what people are gonna do out of curiosity, which will then muddy the actual crushes with search crashes. the whole thing is stupid

#6 2019-05-04 05:34:51

rdog

It seems that you'll have your entire Facebook page open to everyone if you go with their system, so not everyone is going to go for that, not everyone wants to have everything totally out there for the sake of being "real" or people searching your dating profile and see whats on your page, you family friends, pictures, or your employer checking your social media and see your dating profile, also I don't think they will remotely go where the adult fetish sites are even if they use a discrete search engine, they won't go there that deep into fetishes if at all.

#7 2019-05-22 06:26:10

SuperZen

Fearful people can create an alternative "anonymous" FB profile geared for dating. Especially for fetish / secret sexual preferences...
Besides, FB is not stupid and will offer some form of control for crush users...
FB is pushing the "free line". I think this will hurt our model...
This trend has been going on for years: big powerful sites "crush" the competition, no pun intended... cf Amazon, Apple, Facebook, PayPal, Youtube...
I've priced my site at 1€ per month and most members still do not sign up. Sure, I need to improve some things (trafic, conversion, quality of my site, more frequent newsletters, educate members better). But I'm a bit worried about extra competition from the monster (FB).
Crush is currently tested in South America and Asia.
You send a secret crush to someone. And none knows it. Not even that person. If that person also declares a secret crush on you, then there is a match. And both crushers are notified...
It's a bit like Tinder... You can send maximum 9 crushes a day.

Could Vlad create a similar system for DS ? smile

Last edited by SuperZen (2019-05-22 06:32:27)

#8 2019-05-22 07:58:48

radioact
Staff

I personally think it's pretty doable. It is a functionality similar to Favorites. I once did something similar well, probably 11 years ago at my dating site - if both members favorited each other they got this Private message notification about mutual favoring. That's funny that Facebook decided to do it now.
Submit a feature request post and let's see how many members vote for this smile

#9 2019-06-02 20:44:03

SuperZen

Done

Board footer